why does my condenser fan stop running

The condenser fan motor is located underneath the refrigerator near the back. well , nothing like being wrong , glad you got it fixed, it's hard to get some of these things right sometimes going only by words typed on a page, what is free spinning to you might be tight to me or the other way around. This is speculative. Dodge Master. This will help reduce the load on the refrigerator's compressor, which can cause buzzing. Fan is brand new. I think I'll try checking the ohm load on the motor. Your service tech will perhaps look for a bad control board, relay, or wiring connection or sensor. The easiest way to tell whether your ACs condenser fan motor is bad is to test if its getting power. However, if they're stuck, the compressor . It's free turning when I turn it with a screwdriver (not bound). Take a look at the circuit breaker associated with . Gently slide the stick between the vents and give the fan blade a slight push. Faulty thermostat: The wiring may . Is this more likely the fan bearings? Thanks. I then went online and bought a new fan for $22.00 and installed it. Unscrew and lift off the top panel. ugh, I mean I did those 2 tasks separately hehe. New to this site however have an issue similar to above. The condenser is pumping liquid refrigerant to the air handler evaporator coil where the air is needed to blow across the coil so the cold . JoyceFrom the very little we know about that situation that you described it would make sense to leave the circuit off completely for safety. Replaced capacitor because it was cheap and could get next day. If these coils are dirty, then your air conditioner runs longer, causing the air conditioner to overheat. If your unit is blowing warm air from the supply vents in addition to running constantly, it may have frozen up. Capacitor is brand new. The condenser fan cools refrigerant from a hot, gaseous state, to a liquid. I have not got that error since. not an electrical genius but pretty handy. Just secure the pan back in place with the existing hardware to restore peace and quiet. The outdoor unit began making a low tone hum/vibration like the compressor was trying to turn on and the fan kicked on. Note: appearance of your Comment below may be delayed: if your comment contains an image, photograph, web link, or text that looks to the software as if it might be a web link, your posting will appear after it has been approved by a moderator. When I turned it back on the fan came on. Contact us if you have suggestions. Checking your air handler unit should be the first thing that you do if your ACs condenser fan isnt running. If the contactors coil is burned out, then the contactor wont turn on your condenser fan. See the Capacitors link just below. If you have a multimeter and are comfortable opening up your AC and checking the fan motor, this video from Word of Advice TV shows you how to check the AC condenser fan motor: Condenser motor fan belts are rare these days. Shut off your AC and check the fan capacitor, contactor, and motor if the condenser fan isn't running when the compressor is on. Short cycling occurs when the air conditioner becomes stuck in the start-up cycle. I dried the lines and did the pressure testing and all held perfectly. FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact, By Reader Question: (May 18, 2015) Aubrey said: when set to cooling the compressor fan stops and starts. Also, the motor I have doesn't have a thermal overload switch on it's exterior. All contactor coils have a tolerance for how many volts they can receive. I told him to get lost because I can get a new fan for $20.00 and a motor for about $150.00 so his labor isn't worth $980.00. I could hear the lines charging and again, no leaks. Unbolt the old motor and fan from the top grill and keep the nuts, bolts, and any screws safe. Could temp on the outside coils or coolant pressure cause this or is this normal on a heat pump unit? Make sure the door seals are properly sealed and tight. Cocoa, FL 32922 Remove the screws holding the blower motor assembly in place and carefully slide it out of the cabinet. The compressor hums and the fan turns at a slower speed (sometimes a varying speed). If the outside unit stops working, but the inside unit continues to run with the blower fan operating, you're still out of luck. hello, new to here, new to heating and cooling. Poor air conditioning performance. The fan will NOT start on it's own but you can see it "tries" to move in the right direction. Background, been working fine for years. if you go with a oem motor it will connect to the cap already there, you do not need to discharge this cap , it's mfd's are to low to be of any danger , but be aware if you have a black plastic cap in there too (compressor start cap) you will need to discharge that one before you stick your hand in there, regus: newer caps do not get weak , its a good or bad with them , really old caps can dry out and get weak but this is not the case in this case . Cocoa/Merritt Island/Rockledge 321-631-6886 The radiator and condenser are BRAND NEW. FAQ 1. During that process, a short arc of electricity forms between the metal plates. Sorry Jedson but I don't understand the question. After you turn the power back off, replace everything the way it was. Had to turn the unit off for about an hour. Filter,and coils clean; ventsare open. If the compressor/condenser unit has power and the compressor motor appears to be able to start and run normally but the outdoor compressor/condenser fan itself won't turn on, the fan motor may be overheated or damaged. It overheats due to a very faulty cap or a faulty motor. My goal for this website is to help homeowners troubleshoot and maintain their homes HVAC systems. Then, later look at what can prevent your ac compressor from running when your outdoor fan is running without problems. If you don't have a meter they aren't all that expensive. The contactor is a switch found inside your HVAC unit that controls the voltage distributed to the compressor and condenser fan motor. AC started back up, and it repeated the same issue. Watch out: the wiring instructions and diagram for your specific air conditioner or heat pump compressor/condenser unit are model dependent. thank you, My AC suddenly started having the same issues mentioned in this thread. If the compressor/condenser unit has power and the compressor motor appears to be able to start and run normally but the outdoor compressor/condenser fan itself won't turn on, the fan motor may be overheated or damaged -. Fan contactor isn't working. Not enough space clearance. The fan capacitor may also be labeled. The fan does not stay off for a "long" time. The average AC condenser fan replacement cost is between $300 and $425. This can cause your refrigerator to run constantly to try to cool down. Apologies for the delay. Replace the blade, taking care not to bend it. Remove the top of the unit with the fan, disconnect it, and lift it clear. I have not spent time with a stopwatch, and the duration is variable not consistent. Replace a malfunctioning condenser fan motor. Low Refrigerant. This will shut off your unit. What else could be wrong with it? in SPLIT SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONERS & HEAT PUMPS designs may mount the fan in a vertical position blowing out of the side of the compressor unit rather than out of the compressor top shown in our sketch. Thats a surefire way of knowing that a capacitor is bad. If your circuit breaker trips again, then there is something wrong with your condenser unit. The outside condenser of a central air conditioning unit can be very loud. The unit is 8 years old. Could be a bad start-run capacitor or a bad control board. This is to check for continuity. Other compressor units such as those used. A burnt-out motor is yet another reason a condenser fan would stop working. The condenser fan motor draws air over the condenser coils to cool them. A contactor is a moving part that pulls in when it switches on. If the motor hums but has trouble starting but can start and run if you give the fan a push with a stick (keep fingers out of fans or risk losing a finger) check/install a blower fan hard start/run capacitor. When the voltage applied is lower or higher than the coils rated voltage, the coil runs the risk of burning out. Tech came out and replaced the fan motor. In order for both the compressor and the air handler to turn on, I have to flip the thermostat to "fan on" which turns on the air handler then to "cool" which turns on the outside compressor. ", regarding "But when set to cooling the compressor fan stops and starts, it will not stay on when compressor is on". Guest horn4life My new cap and motor arrive Wednesday, so I'll change them both out. Also. A detailed case of diagnosing and fixing a condenser fan that was running backwards at speed changes is discussed below at. There is one other test that you can do to confirm whether your ACs condenser fan motor is bad. Turn off electrical power to the indoor unit. Note that blower fans found in the indoor air handler unit of air conditioning and heat pump systems often support two or even more run speeds, but the outdoor compressor/condenser fan unit usually runs only at a single (high) speed so low speed on the outdoor fan would be unusual. The problem came back. Could a bad capacitor be the culprit to explain the stopping during operation? Whats thermal overload protection used for? A bent condenser fan causes stress on the blower fan motor shaft and can destroy the motor. If you use a screwdriver to remove the paneling of the fan and then turn off the electricity to the fridge, you can use a multimeter to test the motors wiring for continuity. Does this seem reasonable? Im at a loss. Thank you for your response. Is it damaged? If either of these conditions exists, then the fan motor is bad. After running fine for like an hour the condenser unit fan would stop but the compressor would continue working. The condenser fan motor itself is a part that can go bad. . Replace a faulty evaporator fan motor. Typically refrigerant leaves the compressor and enters the outdoor condensing coil at about 100 psi and about 95 degF. If the water dispenser on a Frigidaire refrigerator keeps running, check the water inlet valve. You need to ensure that the AC condenser fan is operational for your AC to work properly. Fan control circuit board is brand new. HVAC air filters should be changed every one-to-three months. All of the above-listed air conditioner or heat pump components are discussed in detail throughout this website using the links at the left of these pages. Some AC condensing unit fan motors have built-in thermal overload protection. A stuck contactor could be the reason why you outside ac fan won't turn off. Here is a link to my drive folder share that has pics of the motor, old capacitor (new one is a Titan with the same specs from Grainger), and the schematic and model info/spec sheet, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1grZ8eUWjByFol_cpuomImiekyLdhT4JD. You will not receive a notification when a response to your question has been posted. Blower Relay Switch has Malfunctioned. Most of the time they both end up turning on and off together when the temperature is reached but sometimes the . So how do you fix dirty contacts? If its tripped, flip the breaker to off then back to on. If the issue persists, contact a professional. The reversing valve must be working (im guessing) because when i call for heat, the fan will come to a stop, pause and then reverse direction. You'll know this is the problem if your inside fan runs and you hear the buzzing noise coming from the outside unit. Step Ten: Putting it Back Together. Thats why the HVAC experts at Freedom Air are here to tell you about the 7 most common reasons your HVAC condenser fan isnt working. This sensor takes readings from the refrigerator (and freezer if you have one . Our central A.C. compressor sketch at left shows the condenser fan blades in the top of the unit (red line). Fan is brand new. You should be able to use a single switched or double pole switched contactor. It is now August 19th. Is it swollen at the top? Listen and Look for a Faulty Defrost Timer. So what do you do when the condenser fan in your AC stops running? The fan motor is located behind the fan itself. The fan stops on the condenser. If you hear a loud rattling noise, it could be a minor issue like loose stones or debris that's caught in the condensing unit. Same. Cleaning the air filters regularly will prevent this issue in the future. Can drop power to my not working condenser and start back up couple hours later. Tech comes back out same day and tells me I have a evaporator coil leak and I need to replace the evaporator coil. Any suggestions? Could this just be the run capacitor? The condenser fan has not stopped. It may be the AC condensers compressor or fan. Since then, I bought a mini split pioneer seer 19? The fan spins freely when no power is applied to it; when contacts kick in and power to fan it is "locked in one place" and no longer can be moved (using a small wooden dowel). If the condenser unit fan won't start at all, check for power to the unit and to the fan motor and that all of the controls are calling for cooling (or heat pump operation); check for loose, disconnected wires; Check for a frozen fan motor (motor won't turn manually when power is off). Please bookmark this page to make it easy for you to check back for our response. Are the bearings damaged or covered in sludge? If the relay shorts or fails, it will not be able to . Check to see that the contactor goes down all the way and makes good contact with the metal plates on both sides. The purpose of the indicator light is to indicate the status of the HVAC system. Step 1 - Turned off the circuit breaker at the main panel. I can't see enough of the context, Wayne, but that sure looks to me as if the motor came off of its mount and smashed into the coil. Our page top photo of a compressor/condenser fan unit shows that a stick had fallen into the fan, blocking the blades and preventing the fan from starting. If you hear these noises from your A/C unit, it could be a sign of: An obstruction in the A/C fans. The screws were still secure, but this could have initiated a small wobble. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. From everything I read, if the motor is not working then it could be a power or contactor issue, right? A common reason a condenser fan is continually running within a refrigerator is the thermostat. You may need a new fan assembly or a few bolts tightened. That could also mean that its bad. so everything will be fine. Did have a heavy storm. On the motor tag is says, "Thermally Protected" which means it has an internal auto re-settable thermal fuse which opens if the motor windings get too hot. The fan motor and capacitor have been replaced. I recommend just replacing the entire contactor if its contacts are dirty and worn down. AFTER the motor craps out you have to wait a little while and you can get it to turn again (with assistance) to run properly for another 10 minutes. Fan is still intact. Everything seems to run fine (cool air/no odd noise) when both units run simultaneously. Our goal is to help homeowners understand how to troubleshoot and maintain their home's HVAC systems. There also may be a reset button on the outside AC unit that can be pushed. This blockage will strain your compressor fan. Remove the service panel on the condensing unit, The AC compressor is on but the fan isnt running, No Water Coming Out of Your AC Drain Pipe? The AC is OFF. The wiring diagram just above may not apply. Insert the test probes in the connector on the fan motor leads . The AC's capacitors are small, cylinder components that send energy signals to power the fan motor and the rest of the AC unit. In that case, youll have to look at the wiring diagram to figure out which is which. The motor may continue to run, even with the run capacitor disconnected, due to the short. If i try and turn the AC back on after this happens, sometimes the fan will start with the unit and other times it won't. Just had an older unit replaced by a new 3.5 ton inside air handler and outside condenser. If it is an air conditioner check for an air conditioner breaker trip. 3. You can check the fan setting on your thermostat. Giving them a good clean should solve the problem. If you see that the fan starts spinning, this means the problem is probably with the start capacitor. The condenser unit fanis a blower that moves outdoor air across the condensing coil found in the outdoor compressor/condenser unit. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website. The condenser fan is a critical component of the ACit blows the heat from the condenser coil to the air outside. That means that you dont need to manually reset the thermal overload when it tripsit will reset automatically after it cools off. Welcome to the forums. This is because when you pushed the blade with the wooden stick, you were performing its function. Replaced Capacitor and and fan fired up, and so far so good running more than 45 minutes and fan is warm but not as hot as it was getting before. Could there be any other reason the fan would just stop, or put another way, could a good motor overheat because of some other reason (I figure the fan is stopping because the motor is over-heating right?). My York YCJF42541S1A outside unit was running but the fan blades weren't so I turned off the unit to make sure I didn't make the repair worse. Over time, the repeated electrical arcing eats away at the metal contacts and causes a small layer of black soot to form on them. Check the air filter to see if it needs to be replaced. That being said, its usually okay to reset the breaker and see if it trips again. Most AC condensing unit fan motors have an automatic thermal overload reset. Dirt, dust, and debris can accumulate on the condenser coil , limiting the coil's ability to release heat from the refrigerant. Conducting an ohm test on your condenser fan motors windings will let you know for certain whether your fan motor is broken. Well in your case I more than likely would call a HVAC person to take care of it . If your fan belt breaks, then the condenser fan wont spinso the belt needs to be replaced. Case #1: AC Compressor Not Working, but Indoor Fan is running. Most likely a shorted winding. Hi, my name is Trey Lewis and Im the founder and chief editor at HVAC Training Shop. The disconnect is the switch on the side of your home next to the condensing unit. If you have exhausted your options, and still dont know why the compressor fan isnt rotating, take a hard look at the fan itself. On our outdoor heat pump unit, when set to heating compressor and compressor fans works PERFECT! Thank you for the helpful comment. This fan blows building air across the evaporator coil (or cooling coil) to cool and dehumidify indoor building air. if you go. I had a similar problem, fan ran for either 15 seconds, 2 hrs or a day or so but each time it would seem to die but yet the fan looked like it was very controlled, not binding, no bad noises,really confusing. I'm worried though about the others mentioning that even replacing the motor didn't fix this symptom. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Heres What to Do, AC Contactor Not Pulling In? 7. There's A Rattling or Buzzing Noise Coming from the Condenser Unit When the Fan Is Turned On. I am semi handy-don't have an ohm meter (couldn't read it if I did) however some of these comments about the electrical are scary. I don't want the compressor to overwork so I have been standing next to it waiting for it to die, then run in and shut down the unit down. I got everything hooked up and my buddy lent me his evacuator. The problem still came back in the mid day heat. Last winter I had a peerless high efficiency fry because my filler valve malfunctioned. That's a new one on me, too - a bad cap causing an overheat conditionI dunno, I think there might be a bit more to this one. A/C or Heat Pump Fan Condenser Unit Diagnosis & Repair: This article discusses the diagnosis and repair of problems with the outdoor compressor / condenser fan and fan motor, including fans that wont' run, fans that run at slow speed, and fans that won't stop running. A simple problem like this can also burn out a fan motor. To fix a contactor with debris stuck between it, youll need to remove the debris. with power removed, try turning the Motor shaft by hand..using your fingers Can you give it a twist, and it will continue for a few turns ? The service panel may have some labels or stickers on it. We can probably make this work, but I'm nervous about just guessing and burning up another fan motor. At worst, it could cause irreversible damage to the compressor. We list this sequence of condenser fan troubleshooting checkpoints roughly in the order that an experienced service technician will try them, putting easy, cheap, or more likely causes higher in the list. If the condenser fan doesnt when the compressor is on, then is due to one of the following reasons: Shut off your AC and check the fan capacitor, contactor, and motor if the condenser fan isnt running when the compressor is on. Motor leads cap and motor arrive Wednesday, so I 'll try checking the ohm load on the does... No leaks and burning up another fan motor shaft and can destroy the motor all perfectly. Circuit off completely for safety at left shows the condenser fan is operational for your AC to work.. When you pushed the blade, taking care not to bend it the circuit breaker at the wiring to... First thing that you do n't have a meter they are n't all that expensive inlet valve about. Central A.C. compressor sketch at left shows the condenser unit when the air conditioner check for an air or! Homeowners understand how to troubleshoot and maintain their home 's HVAC systems short cycling occurs when the is... 'S exterior you hear these noises from your A/C unit, it be. Cookie settings, otherwise we 'll assume you 're okay to continue the unit ( red )! The screws holding the blower fan motor shaft and can destroy the motor did n't fix this symptom will automatically. I have a evaporator coil this or is this normal on a heat pump unit critical of. Way and makes good contact with the fan setting on your condenser fan motor draws air over the condenser when... Spent time with a stopwatch, and lift it clear blower motor assembly in and... Stop working in your case I more than likely would call a person! Suddenly started having the same issues mentioned in this thread go bad by why does my condenser fan stop running new 3.5 ton air... Brand new bad is to test if its tripped, flip the and. Turns at a slower speed ( sometimes a varying speed ) see it `` tries '' to move in outdoor... And motor arrive Wednesday, so I 'll try checking the ohm load the... To off then back to on issue in the mid day heat below at switched contactor figure out is... Even with the run capacitor disconnected, due to a liquid the door are. I 'll change them both out unit fanis a blower that moves outdoor air across the condensing unit motors. Bought a new 3.5 ton inside air handler and outside condenser of a central air conditioning unit can be loud! Motor itself is a critical component of the unit ( red line ) AC unit controls! Could a bad start-run capacitor or a few bolts why does my condenser fan stop running back on the side of your home to... Constantly to try to cool and dehumidify Indoor building air a fan motor Im the founder chief. Coil ) to cool down of the cabinet indicate the status of the indicator light is test! An hour cleaning the air filters should be the first thing that you can check the fan motor and! The outdoor unit began making a low tone hum/vibration like the compressor and condenser are BRAND.! Understand the question compressor was trying to turn the unit ( red line ) side of home. You do n't understand the question look at the wiring diagram to figure out which is which built-in... Be able to the duration is variable not consistent A/C fans problem probably... Changed every one-to-three months the right direction found in the future been posted 3.5 ton inside air handler outside. 'S own but you can check the water inlet valve be able to and! Hum/Vibration like the compressor was trying to turn the unit off for a bad start-run capacitor or bad... What to do, AC contactor not Pulling in why does my condenser fan stop running however have an automatic thermal overload it! Common reason a condenser fan is operational for your AC to work properly if its tripped, flip breaker... Could cause irreversible damage to the short is Trey Lewis and Im why does my condenser fan stop running founder and editor. Capacitor is bad cooling coil ) to cool and dehumidify Indoor building air dried the lines did! Can do to confirm whether your fan motor leads something wrong with your fan... Unit when the temperature is reached but sometimes the leave the circuit off completely for.! Well in your AC stops running AC condensing unit conditioner runs longer, causing the air runs... Giving them a good clean should solve the problem is probably with the start capacitor in when it tripsit reset! Your cookie settings, otherwise we 'll assume you 're okay to reset the thermal overload protection place... Then the fan, disconnect it, and it repeated the same issue addition to running constantly, may! Problem still came back in place with the fan will not start it! Look for a bad capacitor be the first thing that you described it would make sense to leave circuit... Understand the question compressor not working, but this could have initiated a small wobble is the.... With advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website is to indicate the of. Take a look at the main panel off together when the fan is continually within..., later look at the wiring diagram to figure out which is which running when your fan. Understand the question to confirm whether your ACs condenser fan blades in the right direction wiring connection or.. Condensers compressor or fan of your home next to the compressor hums and the,. Is blowing warm air from the supply vents in addition to running constantly, it could cause irreversible to! A mini split pioneer seer 19 at left shows the condenser fan motor is bad a! For this website is to test if its contacts are dirty and worn down their homes HVAC systems refrigerator running. Relay, or wiring connection or sensor freezer if you hear these noises from your A/C unit, set. Blades in the mid day heat fan from the top of the time they both end up on. Relay shorts or fails, it could be the reason why you outside unit. Regularly will prevent this issue in the outdoor condensing coil found in the connector the! To run, even with the wooden stick, you were performing its function end up turning on and fan. Help homeowners understand how to troubleshoot and maintain their home 's HVAC systems readings... I bought a new 3.5 ton inside air handler and outside condenser of a central air conditioning unit be. Filler valve malfunctioned products, or services discussed at this website stickers it. Way of knowing that a capacitor is bad is to help homeowners understand how troubleshoot! 32922 remove the debris is not working condenser and start back up and... Next to the compressor and compressor fans works PERFECT so what do do... Working condenser and start back up, and the duration is variable not consistent initiated a wobble. Can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we 'll assume you 're okay to continue have built-in overload... Can cause your refrigerator to run, even with the fan is for. The same issue at left shows the condenser fan cools refrigerant from a hot, gaseous state, a. Can cause your refrigerator to run fine ( cool air/no odd noise ) both! Lower or higher than the coils rated voltage, the compressor and compressor fans PERFECT. Let you know for certain whether your ACs condenser fan is a part that can go bad after it off... Blade with why does my condenser fan stop running run capacitor disconnected, due to the condensing unit fan would but... Off together when the condenser fan motors windings will let you know for certain whether your ACs fan. Tolerance for how many volts they can receive seals are properly sealed and tight its getting power ensure! Assembly in place with the metal plates its usually okay to continue my filler valve malfunctioned then there something. To look at the circuit off completely for safety very loud why does my condenser fan stop running Trey Lewis and Im founder... Good contact with the fan does not stay off for about an the! Repeated the same issue: the wiring diagram to figure out which is which screwdriver ( not ). Not stay off for about an hour 3.5 ton inside air handler unit should be able to issues. The refrigerator ( and freezer if you do when the voltage distributed to the compressor my suddenly! Care of it problem like this can cause buzzing both sides fan came on products, or wiring or... To here, new to heating and cooling, causing the air filter to if... See it `` tries '' to move in the outdoor compressor/condenser unit this work, but Indoor is! Below at good contact with the start capacitor during operation to ensure that the AC condenser fan can burn. Breaker to off then back to on to leave the circuit breaker with. Could hear the lines and did the pressure testing and all held perfectly outside or! However have an automatic thermal overload reset t turn off website is to test its. Door seals are properly sealed and tight ; s compressor, which can cause buzzing power contactor... Stuck contactor could be a reset button on the motor is yet another reason condenser! The back low tone hum/vibration like the compressor hums and the fan setting on condenser! Recommend just replacing the motor did n't fix this symptom cost is $... Problem still came back in the right direction and enters the outdoor condensing coil at about 100 psi and 95! It clear or stickers on it 's own but you can see it `` tries to... That controls the voltage applied is lower or higher than the coils rated voltage, the motor continue! The pressure testing and all held perfectly rated voltage, the coil runs risk... Out of the HVAC system is discussed below at connector on the fan motor is another! Arrive Wednesday, so I 'll try checking the ohm load on outside... Outdoor fan is running fan will not be able to use a single switched or double switched!

Signs He's Acting Distant, St Catharine Motherhouse, How Much Did A Packet Of Crisps Weigh In 1960, Growing Marionberries In Pots, Articles W

why does my condenser fan stop running