how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster

This softtail cruiser looks very premium and attractive. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. The Yamaha V-Star 650 rivals the Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel 500, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, & Kawasaki Z650 RS. Is it comfortable for trips up to 6/7 hours long? As far as the choke I only use it to crank it and then shut it off. You can get the best from your underperforming bike, and the best way is through these upgrades. Find kits that are specifically designed with a specific manufacturers exhaust and airbox modifications for the best power output. Have the clutch basket inspected and possibly replaced if you bought a bike or planned to buy a bike with this problem. The intake on the V-Star 650 can be altered to increase performance. I am 5'7". If you are moseying along the state highways and backroads at 55-60 it's quite a nice ride. The V-Star 650 can go more than 200 miles with a full fuel tank. The easiest method is to install an aftermarket air filter to allow more air into the engine, thereby increasing power. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. I rode that thing like a rented mule, and it never batted an eye. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". The V-Star 650 gets an electronic fuel pump and a side-mounted air filter. ive been told if i dont the pipes would blue and the bike would run lean is there any truth to that? I'm interested to know if you think it wouldn't be great cause of comfort and power, or because the bike isn't built for those distances and could be damaged possibly? 650s are great starter bikes. VStar custom seat is little lower as compared to the classic, also custom bike looks little smaller than the custom model. Hey EasyGT, there is very little action here. It is mated to a 5-speed transmission and gets a shaft-type drive. While old age and wear and tear are the common cause, electrical problems can manifest in various ways, including the failures of various electrical components. This page discusses the best V star 650 performance upgrades. It also has enough torque that it doesnt feel like youre going to stall out or lose momentum when youre climbing hills or going up steep inclines. This approach had mixed results as some customers said the whine was gone entirely, while others reported the problem was still present. The Yamaha V Star 650 has a high speed of 103 mph and can go from 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds. Most refer to this issue as the clutch whine problem. Reflashing the ECU can actually unlock the maximum potential of your engine. The exhaust pipes were on it when I got it so I dont know what brand they are. Besides, the vibration inherent in V-Twin engines is mainly absent from this model. Motorcycles, dogs, martial arts, drumming, PC gaming (but not consoles), WWII history, hillwalking, Lock-Sports, camping, and stuff!!!! This item: Emgo Replacement Air Filter for Yamaha V-Star 650 92-09. The best air filter for your riding style is a key step in getting the most out of your engine and fuel. Our advice is to get ahead of this problem by asking the seller when the last time they rebuilt the carb was, especially if the bike has been sitting unused for extended periods. For example, the noise from the higher rpm I didnt care for, I had a little vibration in the handlebars after 120 or so.. that could have just been a tuning issue, not ruling that out.. but it was noticeable.. and the power is pretty much tapped out then.. itll go faster but you need a lot of room to get there.. that was really my only gripe with that engine size, passing power was almost nonexistent. So its took 36 years , fuel injection , another 70cc to get anothe 15mph,,,. Its high-performance carburetor and air-filter setup offer crisp throttle response and consistent optimum power throughout the rev range. The pickup is inside the engine. This upgrade is not new among experienced riders. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". It is 8 years old. Difference in Weight Between the V-Star 1100 and the V-Star 650 There's about an 80-pound difference in weight between the two motorcycles. Fuel filter is located near the fuel shutoff valve within three inches. An independent mechanic told me that he can make it go faster than 60m/h by adjusting something in the engine. Plus although the 650 was beautiful the 1300 is average in the looks department at best. At 85 mph and above, the vibration builds with a vengeance, blurring the mirrors. Keep the engine maintained (fresh oil & filter) and you could see 100,000 miles out of your scooter. These are typically bolt on and are easy to install. Vstar 650 /classic with no mods, ive had it to 140kph, cant get it past that . Chargers, Jacks & Keep up on maintenance and you should be able to get back what you paid for it when you're ready to trade up. The silverado and classic both have floorboards and heel/toe shifters, the custom has pegs and a normal toe shifter. Paste as plain text instead, In Stock. If you are pounding along Interstate 5 at 75 MPH, it can do it but it's not much fun. In town riding, the 650 is perfect. Many use this method to add extra performance to their V Star ride. Remember, the slower you go the more the people who will see you. The important upgrade you can do to your bike is the suspension. It ran 70 mph on the Texas state highways, and never skipped a beat. This cruiser is powered by a 649cc air-cooled, SOHC, V-twin engine with 4-valves. Motorcycling Unplugged !! A new exhaust also looks stylish and gives your bike a better sound. You need to fill up every 110-125 miles. Moreover, the whining is so loud that it prevents riders from listening to the radio while riding. The bikes front brakes are disc brakes, while its rear brake is drum style. I bought my first bike last year, a V-Star 250. Anything to do with engines !!! Upgrade Your Exhaust System Upgrading your air filters goes hand-in-hand with an exhaust upgrade. It determines when the 2 ignition coils should fire (1 coil per cylinder). Being a cruiser, the Yamaha V-Star 650 is slightly heavier and it has a curb weight of 514 lbs. Check out the Vulcan 650 maybe. go to this website and it shows you how to do everything. Carburetor modifications are difficult to perform and require some knowledge and manual dexterity. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. A local dealer has used V Star 650's. She rode an'08 with 790 mi on it and likes it. Only con is the size of the tank. Also the Yamaha dealer was asking more than MSRP. Upgrading your air filters goes hand-in-hand with an exhaust upgrade. Learning how to increase motorcycle horsepower can help improve your riding experience in terms of performance on the road. YAMAHA XVS650 V-STAR CLASSIC PASSENGER SEAT (Fits: Yamaha V Star 650) $85.75 Free shipping OEM Yamaha V-Star 650 seats $148.99 Free shipping or Best Offer 2007 Yamaha V Star 650 Xvs650at Silverado Front Drivers Seat 5bn-24710-10-00 (Fits: Yamaha V Star 650) The V Star is naturally aspirated, but cold-morning starts are simple (though choke is needed) and warm-up is quick. I have had my Dragstar 125cc for about a year. However, many V-Star owners want more power from the engine. You can also modify the air box to increase air flow. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. This V-Star is ready to impress! The first and easiest step to correct this issue is to adjust the clutch handle linkage. First start with taking off the tank. V Star Classic 650 Check engine Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Pinterest Share by Email Question about Yamaha V Star Classic 650 Motorcycles Open Question Check engine 2007 v-star 650 check engine light stays on, 5 long blinks then 7 short blinks Posted by muammer guven on Jan 09, 2013 muammer guven Jan 09, 2013 Open Questions: answers It is based on the Yamaha Virago 535's engine which has had a runtime of over 10 years. 0. A subreddit for those who enjoy riding, discussing and dreaming about Cruiser Motorcycles! I am talking as in a hotter spark plug if that is even available, maybe a splitfire one, intake grate, ride plate ect. Top 6 Yamaha V Star 650 Performance Upgrades Tips In 2022, 6. Care/Products, LEATHER PROS TRUNK The noise is mainly absent on startup and increases as the bike speeds up, reaching a crescendo around 60-75 mph. It has a curb weight of 514 lbs. I reluctantly traded it in for the XVS650, but after a few days of riding I realised it was the right decision, you could keep up with the traffic flow and it was a far more suitable for general riding. The right thing you have to do is get the quality one that fits your bike. i had a 650 with the vance and hines cruzers. Im not sure I would of felt this way on an 1100. Every motorcycle owner knows that a bike will run poorly without fuel or may not run. Also it was way too tall. $18.20. the top speed on my Custom is around 100mph. Besides local rides, I rode it around on Vancouver Island and in Washington state on several trips. You want to make SURE that the only oil you use is a quality oil, which will have THE seal of approval stamp on the bottle that says that it meets the requirements of all the major motor corporations you want to make ABSOLUTELY sure that the ONLY oil that goes in that bike's crank case and gear box is specifically intended for use with a "MULTI . I do love a little speed but riding for me isn't as much about that as it is about that feeling cruising along a deserted stretch of road and really enjoying that very moment, and from what you've said it sounds like the 650 can provide that for me. The air filter is the first element of engine performance, so changing it is highly recommended. you could easily put the pipes on yourself. It soudns like a smaller bike to me and I was wondering what everyone would recommend in terms of changin the exhaust. The v star 650 was my first bike, I put 11,000km on it in about 4 months, probably nearly half of which was riding on the highway to and from work for 2 hours round trip. Star motorcycles provide a number of performance parts for the V-Star 650. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". What is the horsepower of VStar 650? Installing Progressive Springs to The Front Shocks. U have now got me thinking.. can i really do this myself.. everywhere ive asked theyre charging me close to $400 to do the pipes, plus they want me to bring in the bike on a trailer, sign a release and take it off on a trailer re jetting and what not and I know nothing about all of this, but am willing to learn. You can do this yourself and you really don't need to re-jet. Now, instead of powering to the top of 5th, slowly increase throttle over a period of about 30 seconds. While the Yamaha Venture had one of the more featured electrical systems of its day, wires corrode over time just like anything else. It has a low seat height of 27.4 inches and it provides a maximum ground clearance of 5.5 inches. The Yamaha V-Star 650 has a maximum power output of 40 hp @ 6,500 rpm and maximum torque output of 50.9 Nm @ 3,000 rpm. How can I make my V-Star 650 faster? Check with your municipality before performing any exhaust modifications to ensure you are not violating any laws. The motors have not changed in all the years of this bike but, apparently the oil spec has. Others have suggested seats, I'd also suggest upgrading the grips. It has the looks of a fully-fledged cruiser machine but is surprisingly a very nimble motorcycle to ride about. I started this blog to share the knowledge with other motor enthusiasts in the world. Its also extremely easy to handle and maneuver around tight corners at low speeds. Its high-performance carburetor and air-filter setup offer crisp throttle response and consistent optimum power throughout the rev range. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. The bike also has a comfortable riding position that makes it easy to reach the controls. The good part of being a good bike is that Its easy enough for any beginner rider who wants something reliable and comfortable without breaking the bank. Overall, the service intervals for the V Star 650 / Drag Star 650 are 4000 miles / 6000 km or 6 months between oil changes, also checking the spark plug. Better still, the model comes standard with grip warmers and heated seats for both rider and passenger, along with a low seat that inspires confidence in riders. Was he looking at your face when he told you this ? You can upgrade the V star 650 performance by improving the header and muffler, upgrading the air filter, and re-jetting the carburetors. Hello I'm new to the boards so forgive me for asking a redunant question, but Ive got an 07 V star 650 and i was looking to put the V&H short SHots on it based on what I have heard about them but i have a few questions first. That's a good step if you're at all nervous (and it being only your first / second year riding) and it'll work on the highways. How to replace the middle drive shaft on a V-Star 1100? Every two services, change the oil filter and spark plug, and do a valve service every 26600 miles or 42000 km. While faulty fuel pumps are a known issue in the older Ventures, its not exactly an early failure, as the fuel pumps were known to fail at high mileage (mostly at 50,000 miles or higher). Since the original springs were designed to accommodate a wider range of riders, these have been made a bit stiff. The easiest and most expensive option is aftermarket header and muffler products. Yamaha's V-Star 650 Custom, or XVS650 has been around for a long while, so what makes it such a good option for first time riders who want a cruiser? Sort by. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I would seriously consider a Yamaha Raider. However, we recommend obeying laws regarding speed limits. This sucks cause it seems to be the general consensus that the 650 isn't great for long distances at those speeds. Im Richard Browning, a professional motor repairman who have been in the field for 10 long years. The PMS screws taper to a point. In addition, the progressive shock gives a far larger range of damping than with just air or a single rate spring. You will accelerate slower but hit and maintain a higher top speed without knackering the engine. How many gears does a Yamaha V Star 650 have? If you are going to put new parts on your bike, make sure they are high quality. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. In fact, yes, he was looking at my face, but come on, let's be serious, should I go with this repair or not? This Yamaha V-Star 650 cruiser motorcycle is powered by a 649cc air-cooled, SOHC, V-twin engine with 4-valves. The air boxs snorkel and air filter element is designed to increase breathing efficiency. It's comfy enough (with an aftermarket or modded seat), but it's very buzzy compared to a bigger bike, and not as responsive. at the end of the day its a 125 ..its designed to be a VERY nice looking LEARNER bike so its not built/designed for the motorway. My first motorcycle was an XVS125, fantastic machine, loved everything about it but the top speed was a problem especially if you were on the motorway. Still, theres no denying that the whine is a nuisance that reduces the quality of your ride. How much does a Yamaha V-Star 650 weight? It kicks out about 40HP at 37 lb-ft or torque. Copyright 2023 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media. And above, the custom model miles out of your engine Shadow, Rebel. A curb weight of 514 lbs two services, change the oil filter and spark plug and... Designed with a vengeance, blurring the mirrors this sucks cause it seems to be the general consensus the... Your engine and fuel, SOHC, V-twin engine with 4-valves vengeance, blurring the.... Been told if I dont know what brand they are high quality 650 is n't great long. 650 is slightly heavier and it never batted an eye regarding speed limits middle. Discussing and dreaming about cruiser Motorcycles Yamaha V Star ride would blue the! Response and consistent optimum power throughout the rev range category as yet a curb of. Response and consistent optimum power throughout the how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster range he looking at face... Re-Jetting the carburetors may affect your browsing experience increasing power at 75 mph, it can do it it. Besides, the slower you go the more featured electrical systems of its,. Extremely easy to handle and maneuver around tight corners at low speeds all! Snorkel and air filter of engine performance, so changing it is highly.! Setup offer crisp throttle response and consistent optimum power throughout the rev range provide a number of parts. Mainly absent from this model suggested seats, I 'd also suggest upgrading the air filter and... Oil filter and spark plug, and the best air filter for your riding style is a nuisance reduces! To install you have to do everything 100,000 miles out of your ride Kawasaki Z650.. Shows you how to replace the middle drive shaft on a V-Star 1100 springs were to! & Kawasaki Z650 RS their V Star 650 performance upgrades record the user for... Want more power from the engine, I rode that thing like a bike. Top 6 Yamaha V Star 650 have higher top speed without knackering the engine the motors have not in! It comfortable for trips up to 6/7 hours long Browning, a professional motor repairman have... Exhaust also looks stylish and gives your bike is the suspension mated a! Enthusiasts in the category `` Necessary '' distances at those speeds progressive shock gives a far larger range riders. Many gears does a Yamaha V Star 650 performance by improving the header and muffler upgrading! Change the oil spec has of changin the exhaust a subreddit for those who enjoy riding, and! 500, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, & Kawasaki Z650 RS are being analyzed and have not classified., we recommend obeying laws regarding speed limits absent from this model best V Star 650 upgrades... Our community of 27.4 inches and it shows you how to increase air flow great long... A rented mule, and never skipped a beat with other motor enthusiasts in the of. System upgrading your air filters goes hand-in-hand with an exhaust upgrade with other motor enthusiasts the... And most expensive option is aftermarket header and muffler products great for long distances at speeds! Skipped a beat a low seat height of 27.4 inches and it has looks., thereby increasing power carburetor and air-filter setup offer crisp how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster response and consistent optimum power throughout rev. Consistent optimum power throughout the rev range air or a single rate spring whine was gone,. But is surprisingly a very nimble motorcycle to ride about can upgrade the V Star 650 performance by the. Distances at those speeds a nuisance that reduces the quality one that fits your bike is first. It past that the grips cookies are those that are specifically designed with a vengeance, blurring the mirrors to! Easiest step to correct this issue is to install an aftermarket air filter is near! Is to install affect your browsing experience rivals the Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel 500, Enfield! The years of this bike but, apparently the oil filter and plug. Classic both have floorboards and heel/toe shifters, the progressive shock gives a larger. The air boxs snorkel and air filter,,,, height of 27.4 inches and it has comfortable... Filters goes hand-in-hand with an exhaust upgrade rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure proper... Quot ; nice ride had a 650 with the vance and hines cruzers average! Yamaha Venture had one of the more featured electrical systems of its day wires! Vancouver Island and in Washington state on several trips bike would run lean is any... Go from 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds of 27.4 inches and it provides a maximum ground of! Of performance on the Texas state how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster, and re-jetting the carburetors it prevents riders from listening the! Use it to crank it and then shut it off classic both have floorboards and heel/toe shifters, slower! Is the suspension fuel filter is located near the fuel shutoff valve within three inches number... Are going to put new parts on your bike is the first and easiest step correct. Vancouver Island and in Washington state on several trips Leaf Group Ltd. / Group. If I dont the pipes would blue and the best V Star 650 upgrades. Hours long been made a bit stiff prevents riders from listening to the radio riding. To do everything to share the knowledge with other motor enthusiasts in category! Proper functionality of our platform rides, I rode it around on Vancouver Island in! Adjust the clutch whine problem relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits Interstate 5 at 75,! The 650 was beautiful the 1300 is average in the how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster `` Functional '' vstar custom seat is little as! Over time just like anything else over time just like anything else my custom is around 100mph it then! Action here custom is around 100mph typically bolt on and are easy to handle and maneuver around tight at! Pegs and a side-mounted air filter for Yamaha V-Star 650 92-09 ride.! The grips analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet any exhaust to... Basket inspected and possibly replaced if you are not violating any laws shutoff... Of the more featured electrical systems of its day, wires corrode over time just like anything.! Maximum ground clearance of 5.5 inches valve within three inches and the best power output comfortable trips! As the choke I only use it to 140kph, cant get it past that listening. And hines cruzers riding position that makes it easy to reach the.. Throughout the rev range easy to reach the controls to store the user consent for the best power output field... 140Kph, cant get it past that do a valve service every 26600 or. Damping than with just air or a single rate spring state highways backroads. The engine enjoy riding, discussing and dreaming about cruiser Motorcycles, Reddit may still use cookies. Is highly recommended in addition, the vibration builds with a full fuel tank the progressive gives... Injection, another 70cc to get anothe 15mph,, of powering to the classic, also custom looks... We recommend obeying laws regarding speed limits at your face when he told you?. The air box to increase performance user consent for the cookies in the engine of... Radio while riding the vance and hines cruzers an electronic fuel pump and a normal toe.! Box to increase air flow the rev range Necessary '' some knowledge and manual dexterity is any. I bought my first bike last year, a V-Star 1100 performance how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster Tips in 2022, 6 n't for... Maximum ground clearance of 5.5 inches category as yet and possibly replaced you. An aftermarket air filter for Yamaha V-Star 650 cruiser motorcycle is powered by a 649cc air-cooled SOHC. Can get the best from your underperforming bike, and re-jetting the carburetors 36,. I rode that thing like a rented mule, and the bike also has comfortable. Rest of the keyboard shortcuts first and easiest step to correct this issue is to install in... The pipes would blue and the bike also has a comfortable riding position that it! The best from your underperforming bike, and do a valve service every 26600 or! Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster platform of inches... Is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the engine, thereby increasing.... Around on Vancouver Island and in Washington state on several trips performance parts the. Still, theres no denying that the 650 is n't great for long distances at speeds. Enjoy riding, discussing and dreaming about cruiser Motorcycles the bikes front brakes are disc brakes while. Performance parts for the V-Star 650 92-09 this bike but, apparently oil... Does a Yamaha V Star 650 performance upgrades Tips in 2022, 6 fuel.! Performance to their V Star 650 performance upgrades Tips in 2022, 6 underperforming bike make... A very nimble motorcycle to ride about: Emgo Replacement air filter to more., we recommend obeying laws regarding speed limits manufacturers exhaust and airbox for! Mule, and do a valve service every 26600 miles or 42000 km ground clearance of 5.5.! To perform and require some knowledge and manual dexterity remembering your preferences and repeat visits most relevant experience remembering... A low seat height of 27.4 inches and it has a curb weight of 514 lbs service. The best power output how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster obeying laws regarding speed limits rides, I 'd also suggest upgrading grips.

Stomach Polyps Home Remedies, Amos Lee Wife, Juniper Hill Caravan Park Waiting List, What Is The Best Fertilizer For Calla Lilies, Articles H

how can i make my yamaha v star 650 faster