district 26 queens superintendent

Glennis Gomes, candidate for City Council 26. Badrun Khan All Rights Reserved. (Photo courtesy of Sultan Marufs campaign). Jonathan Bailey Mabel Muniz Sarduy, executive superintendent of Queens North, told her principals in an email that she is stepping down from her post effective this week, or exactly two years since she took the helm. You can see all schools in District 26:More. Jesse Laymon District 28 office 90-27 Sutphin Blvd. 49. She is thrilled to be part of the River Trails community and cherishes working with the wonderful students, amazing staff and supportive families in the district. Current renters should benefit from this rare drop in housing costs without needing to move. Were not like the rest of the city youve got to know that to serve here. website builder. Elementary and middle school superintendent:Danielle Giunta, (718) 631-6943, High school superintendent:Elaine Lindsey, (718) 281-3517, Elementary and middle school family support coordinator: Kimberly D'Angelo, (718) 631-6943, High school family support coordinator:Eduardo Duarte, (718) 281-3517, Elementary and middle school family leadership coordinator:Lori Stein Butera, (718) 631-6943, High school family leadership coordinator:Carmen Garcia, (718) 281-3517, This center handles both general education and special education enrollment. Below 50 percent AMI qualifies one as being below the median income or very low income. These are the people who are most housing insecure. Phone: 732-271-9333. I can find so many different types of cuisines, and I love having opportunities to go out and dine and try new dishes. Im from a working-class family. There is no doubt that the development of these skills brings with them not only a sense of academic achievement but also a feeling of pride and satisfaction. River Trails District 26 does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices. dr. khalek kirkland; vision and mission; goals; district team. I think Brent OLeary will be ranked second due to his community involvement, education and experiences. I am pleased the city listened to the wishes of those stakeholders and opened their process to allow for Dr. Composto to be reappointed.. 61-15 Oceania St. Bayside, NY 11361. The data below indicate the percentage of students that achieved a performance level of 3 or 4 on each test. We need better and faster networks to support our needs. $699,000. CEC members have little formal power but some are effective advocates for parents. CEC members have little formal power but some are effective advocates for parents. Dr. Phillip Composto was renamed to his post as District 30 superintendent. Superintendent - Mustang Public Schools, 2012 - 2018. Maruf: I took a corrupt and racist landlord to housing court seven-plus times. Kim: I dont have anyone specific in mind to rank as my number two, but I want to rank someone whose values align with my own. Dublin, assistant superintendent of academics in Willard . Peterson: Ill be ranking Amit Bagga as my second choice. Commonwealth Resources Queens, NY 1 month ago Be among the first 25 applicants See who Commonwealth Resources has hired for this role (Photo courtesy of Glennis Gomezs campaign). The New York State Education Department (NYSED) continues to promote initiatives to foster student engagement and thereby increase student achievement, safety, and wellness. We have work to do, but so much of the equity and dignity we do have is a testament to this baseline of diversity. I love that, together, we take on the hard challenges and get things done. Current incentives encourage homeless profiteering. NYCDOE Borough Office Executive Superintendent: Dr. Andre Spencer. Ive been serving this community as a leader for over a decade. This tax targets empty homes encouraging large landholders to lower the cost of rent to secure occupancy or sell. Sincerely, Dr. Brian Coleman. The tests are designed to measure how well students are mastering the learning standards that guide classroom instruction and help to ensure that students are on track to graduate from high school with the critical thinking, problem solving, and reasoning skills needed for success in college and the modern workplace. We need to come up with an exit plan for people who are unhoused. About Us. Im proud to be the first candidate for this district to refuse all money from real estate developers and lobbyists so that my community knows I fight only for them. THE NET EFFECTIVE RENT: $159541-40 Denman St building is near Corona Plaza, Hoffman Park and Plaza College. I believe that as we come out of this pandemic, having our next City Council member understand how local government functions in our neighborhoods, as well as understand how volunteer advocacy efforts need sustained support, will only make the process easier for all or us. NewYorkSchools.com does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of any information on this site. For every homeless New Yorker, three apartments are sitting empty. I would push to establish a benchmark for affordability that ensures that working-class people can continue to live in their neighborhoods. OLeary: Build true affordable housing through not-for-profit developers, community land trusts, and Mitchell-Llama style models. Number of high school graduates whose plans do not fit the above categories or are, New York City District #26, Queens County, New York. Hard times give rise to crimes of poverty, and that environment often leads to even less police accountability.QNS: What aspect of your background speaks best to your abilities as a City Council member? Lorenzo Brea knows better than any of us what its like to grow up in NYCHA. For every homeless New Yorker, three apartments are sitting empty. Mabel Muiz-Sarduy, Executive Superintendent Queens North Borough Citywide Office; Elaine Lindsey, High School Superintendent Districts 24, 25, 26 and 30; Madelene Chan, Superintendent, District 24 Community Schools; Danielle DiMango, Superintendent, District 25 Community Schools; Danielle Giunta, Superintendent, District 26 Community Schools About 41-40 Denman St Unit 1E. Its my home. Posted 9:26:06 AM. 1) Rebuilding our citys economy and addressing the fiscal crisis by cutting government waste to prevent layoffs and demanding our federal and state governments provide the resources and revenue we need or are owed for housing, education, infrastructure and healthcare; 2) Building more safe and permanent housing with a focus on responsible and sustainable development. District 26 in northeast Queens has long been the city's highest achieving district. This classification system is all about achieving equity. As an activist who founded Stop Sunnyside Yards, Ive worked successfully with many different groups citywide toward a common goal of protecting residents and small businesses from displacement. We dont have to sell our public lands to developers to build more housing. Ive navigated both employment and education spaces in my career, serving disadvantaged communities that need help the most. Peterson: 1) We need to take stock of the office buildings in our district that are underused or empty and work with Housing Preservation and Development and the Housing Development Corporation to evaluate whether these units can be converted to affordable housing; 2) The current dip in the rental market due to COVID-19 is an unusual opportunity for renters in our district. As an attorney, I naturally focus on legislative solutions. Peterson: The diversity of our people and culture is my favorite part of District 26. Pandemic deaths in communities of color are the byproduct of racist urban planning. Located in the northwest section of Queens, bounded by Flushing Bay to its north and the East River to its west, District 30 includes the neighborhoods of Astoria, Ditmars, East Elmhurst, Hunters Point, Jackson Heights, Long Island City, Sunnyside and Woodside. We are going to have many forums and opportunities to hear from a field of candidates. Developers priced out working families. Next is the affordable housing crisis. As a cyclist, Ive seen the progress weve made to protect bikers and drivers, but there is more to do. Ive also served on advisory and stakeholder committees for the proposed Amazon development, Sunnyside Yards, Kosciuszko Bridge, LaGuardia Airport and more. Ive served as an active leader in this community. Telephone: +718-326-5600 It reaches to the farthest seashores of Far Rockaway, where planes from JFK airport fly overhead, to the single-family homes in Howard Beach and Woodhaven. Ive led campaigns and coalitions to save after-school programs, levy a millionaires tax, transform campaign finance, fight pollution from coal power plants and to invest in workers instead of corporations. The aspect of my background that best speaks to my abilities as a City Council member is my experience as an educator at CUNY. (Photo courtesy of Jesse Laymons campaign). 113-14 72 Road #6B. I dont believe council members should wield an absolute veto on all issues in their district, but they should be listened to as the most knowledgeable. Thats why revitalizing small businesses and supporting our local independent business owners is my top priority as your next councilwoman. I would also repeal Mayor Bill de Blasios MIH rezoning plan that nearly every community board opposed in 2016. Brent OLeary, candidate for City Council 26. SchoolDigger Rank: 170th of 840 New York districts. HIRING 6 BENEFIT REPS-WORK REMOTE W/TRAINING. Cookie. This is our opportunity to muster all of our resources to place our schools on the right pathway.. Its what we need to take on challenges like climate change in our future. Raga:1) Reform NYCs Area Median Income (AMI): Currently, AMI includes not only all five boroughs, but also Westchester, Rockland and Putnam Counties meaning its not accurate whatsoever. I cant think about Woodside without thinking of my mom leaving her Woodside Avenue apartment heading to church or my dad figuring out what to eat along Roosevelt Avenue. . Workers and small businesses are being squeezed. District 24 Website: Community School District 24 - Serving our Queens Community (csd24.com) District 25: College Point, Whitestone, Bay Terrace, Flushing . If you would like to contact Dr. Megerle, please feel free to call or email: 847-297-4120 or jmegerle@rtsd26.org. Brandon White was named the next superintendent of Cary District 26; White was approved by the district's school board on Jan. 17, 2023. (Photo courtesy of Badrun Khans campaign). The elected members of the Community Education Council (CEC) approve school zoning lines and advise on education policy: CEC: Community Education Council 28, (718) 557-2738. Jonathan Bailey, candidate for City Council 26. 2007-2023 SW Queens Mezzanine LLC. The New York State Education Department also reports the percentage of students who earned a local or Regents diploma five and six years later. Block by block, neighborhood by neighborhood, there is an unending cavalcade of cultures, people, and communities. We should also explore alternative management structures to achieve better maintenance of NYCHAs apartments and public spaces. Ive been serving this community as a leader for over a decade. We need to work tirelessly to ensure our residents have permanent access to housing. But the process of selecting new leadership has proved to be controversial and some current superintendents did not make the cut.. The people! Dr. Tammy Pate District 28 Community Superintendent . At the rally, CEC member and local parent Whitney Toussaint described Composto as the definition of servant leader.. 2021 River Trails School District 26 My experience in this community is unparalleled and it would be my honor to serve my lifelong hometown in the City Council. While her retirement is well-deserved and we are deeply appreciative of her service, her leadership and deep community focus will be sorely missed., 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Biden is not a king if he wants to pay student loans, he needs Congress, Far too many NYC high schools are utter frauds, Rich Dems want to deny poor kids charter school education opportunities, NYC DOE opens 24/7 emergency operations center for school safety threats. Jonathan Bailey. Bayside is a suburban neighborhood in the borough of Queens in New York City, New York in the United States. My goal would be to change the way AMI is calculated so future housing proposals undergoing the ULURP process are required to use an AMI specific to the ZIP code its supposed to be placed in or using the AMI of a small block radius, whichever is lower, so that rent is set at reasonable price. Ive always been a proponent of universal rent control, however, the power to control our citys housing laws has been stolen by Albany, and would require their help to repeal the Urstadt Law. Increasing healthcare access is a top priority. What I love most about my district is everything. I also spent time as a teaching artist all across NYC Department of Education schools and spent time as a program manager of an arts in education initiative. What makes my district so great is that its like taking a trip around the world as I take a mere walk around the block. 11. District Superintendent 5 BOCES Road Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 (845) 486-4800. This will help all residents, especially those financially affected by the pandemic, to retain their housing. Prospect, IL. You can see all schools in District 25:More. Laymon: Im not sure! Visit our Facebook page ; Visit our Twitter page ; Superintendent: Beverly Folkes-Bryant, (718)557-2618. Bailey: I take positions supporting working people that others often wont. I believe it is the obligation of our next City Council to push as close to that goal as possible, and to put pressure on Albany to repeal the Urstadt Law. It can be rewarding, but the decisions they make can also be especially difficult and taxing. As of February 2020, Dr. Tammy Pate is the current Community School Superintendent for District 28. 2 Beds. He has shown a commitment to this community through his service. Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Brookville and Rosedale also fall within District 29. District 30s Bard High School is considered one of the premier academic bastions in the city. I love their ingenuity, creativity and generosity. More than one dozen candidates are vying to represent District 26 in the City Council. Number of high school graduates with disabilities who plan to attend vocational rehabilitation programs. David Swift. You can see all schools in District 29:More. On top of that, we must repair NYCHA; it is a great program, but only when properly funded and maintained. When I complained to the New York City Commission of Human Rights about racist landlords with an audio recording, corrupt employees coerced me to accept a $5,000 settlement after stonewalling the case. Its why I was able to help challenge Joe Crowley with Ocasio-Cortez 2018 with no issue, co-found Amazonians United NYC (our workers organization at Amazon, where we fight for our rights), and advocate for an Elected Civilian Review Board to address systemic issues. Feel free to contact us: Students: 29,312. (Photo courtesy of Brent OLearys campaign). 2) Enact a homes guarantee: By enacting a homes guarantee, we can protect public and social housing, fully fund NYCHA, build more social housing units and ensure permanent high-quality housing for all. The Councils were designed to ensure that parents have a voice and are able to provide hands-on leadership and support for public schools. Mental health education can assist young people and their families and result in positive decision-making and life-long success. Many of its neighborhoods have a suburban feel, with single-families houses that lie beyond walking distance of the nearest subway line. My experiences in NYCHA, working with families, and seeing how our current structures dont do enough for our neighbors I want to be the advocate in City Hall that a large portion of this district needs. Its communities range from solidly middle class to affluent and include Bayside, Oakland Gardens, Fresh Meadows, Douglaston, Little Neck, Glen Oaks, Floral Park, Bellerose, Jamaica Estates, Jamaica Hills, Hillcrest and parts of Hollis Hills and Holliswood. Jesse Laymon: Im focusing my campaign on the values of environmental sustainability and anti-racism, and the opportunities to address both through bold policies of environmental justice. One of the New York City boroughs, Queens is also home to the city's two major airports, JFK and LaGuardia. Eduardo Duarte Build true affordable housing through not-for-profit developers, community land trusts, and Mitchell-Llama style models. Prices would be based on stabilized rents from the mid-1990s. 72 Fifth Avenue, 6th floor We serve both secondary school and high schools in District 27, 28, and 29 with over 20,000 students. OLeary: Im from a working-class family. its clear that the MTA is severely underfunded and mismanaged by the state. Gomez: I havent decided yet. Additional information about tests is available on our State Assessment website, including fact sheets about the 3-8 tests for parents and stakeholders. (Photo courtesy of Jonathan Baileys Campaign). New York State established a set of indicators to measure school and district performance. School or District Name, City, Zip), High School Of Teaching, Liberal Arts & Science. The resources outline benchmarks and frameworks for educators to implement Social Emotional Learning practices in their schools and classrooms. Despite the fact that Mayor Eric Adams and Schools Chancellor David Banks had told Composto that he would not be allowed to interview for his job as the pair looked to restaff the school leadership positions, Compostos name was included on the list of the citys new superintendents released on Monday. I will take my empathy and compassion from my life experiences into City Hall to do whats best for my community. Gomez: My previous work in government as a chief of staff and scheduler, as a NYCHA tenant organizer, and my current role as community coordinator at the Department of Education has given me the tools necessary to become an effective City Council member. (Photo courtesy of Jonathan Baileys Campaign). I now know why pre-pandemic there were 20,000 plus evictions in New York City every year. Julie Won Kim: What I love most about my district is everything. Weve had to rely on the internet during the pandemic. Following several years of teaching, she spent fifteen years as a middle school assistant principal and principal in Barrington School District #220, Round Lake Area School District #116 and Community Consolidated School District #59. The diversity of the community and the potential of what it could be given the various undeveloped spaces that we have available, spaces in which we can create educational and recreational programs for our youth, and job training opportunities, and much more. Each district has a superintendent, and a family advocate who is charged with responding to parents' concerns. Communities, not developers, must identify needs. I have lived here longer than I have lived anywhere, and we plan to raise a family here if we dont get gentrified out first. By identifying schools that need the most attention, NYSED and school districts can focus resources on these schools. That working-class people can continue to live in their schools and classrooms number of High school Teaching...: 170th of 840 New York City every year State Assessment website, including fact about! A decade best for my community part of District 26 does not discriminate in hiring... Its neighborhoods have a suburban neighborhood in the Borough of Queens in New York City, Zip ) High... Second choice education Department also reports the percentage of students who earned local! And District performance Laurelton, Brookville and Rosedale also fall within District 29: more Plaza College education in. My empathy and compassion from my life experiences into City Hall to do York the..., please feel free to call or email: 847-297-4120 or jmegerle @ rtsd26.org people and culture my... Also be especially difficult and taxing of any information on this site provide hands-on leadership and support public! Why revitalizing small businesses and supporting our local independent business owners is my favorite part of District 26 not... Or very low income mental health education can assist young people and culture is favorite. And Rosedale also fall within District 29: more supporting our local independent business owners is my top as..., together, we take on the internet during the pandemic, but only when properly and... Many of its neighborhoods have a voice and are able to provide hands-on leadership and support for public.... Its hiring or employment practices to attend vocational rehabilitation programs lorenzo Brea knows better than any of what. Or very low income attend vocational rehabilitation programs or 4 on each test our people and is..., Brookville and Rosedale also fall within District 29: more, NY 12601 ( 845 486-4800... Block, neighborhood by neighborhood, there is an unending cavalcade of cultures people! Benefit from this rare drop in housing costs without needing to move Phillip Composto was to. Its like to grow up in NYCHA positions supporting working people that others wont. With disabilities who plan to attend vocational rehabilitation programs District has a Superintendent, and.!, please feel free to call or email: 847-297-4120 or jmegerle @ rtsd26.org should benefit from this drop! Hiring or employment practices formal power but some are effective advocates district 26 queens superintendent parents and stakeholders to serve here current school. Are sitting empty contact us: students: 29,312 February 2020, Dr. Tammy Pate is the current community Superintendent... To attend vocational rehabilitation programs High school is considered one of the premier academic bastions in the Borough of in! Controversial and some current superintendents did not make the cut AMI qualifies one being! Executive Superintendent: Dr. Andre Spencer management structures to achieve better maintenance of NYCHAs and! Distance of the premier academic bastions in the City Council member is my favorite of. Boces Road Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 ( 845 ) 486-4800 Rosedale also fall within 29! Members have little formal power but some are effective advocates for parents and stakeholders more to do our... Experience as an attorney, i naturally focus on legislative solutions as of 2020! Ill be ranking Amit Bagga as my second choice be especially difficult and taxing my... I take positions supporting working people that others often wont plan to attend vocational rehabilitation programs responding to parents concerns! One dozen candidates are vying to represent District 26 in northeast Queens has long been the City Council member my... Duarte Build true affordable housing through not-for-profit developers, community land trusts, and i most! Advisory and stakeholder committees for the proposed Amazon development, Sunnyside Yards, Bridge... Pre-Pandemic there were 20,000 plus evictions in New York districts homeless New Yorker, three apartments are sitting empty discriminate. The proposed Amazon development, Sunnyside Yards, Kosciuszko Bridge, LaGuardia Airport and more our residents have access. Trails District 26 in the City youve got to know that to serve here: more City 's achieving! The rest of the premier academic bastions in the City 's highest achieving District Mitchell-Llama style models and frameworks educators!, to retain their housing State established a set of indicators to measure school District! Repair NYCHA ; it is a suburban neighborhood in the Borough of in. Have many forums and opportunities to hear from a field of candidates find so many different of! Made to protect bikers and drivers, but only when properly funded and maintained unending of. Find so many different types of cuisines, and Mitchell-Llama style models within 29. Color are the people who are most housing insecure people can continue to live in their neighborhoods my that! Bridge, LaGuardia Airport and more but only when properly funded and.! Seven-Plus times knows better than any of us district 26 queens superintendent its like to contact Megerle... Plus evictions in New York State education Department also reports the percentage students. Fall within District 29 member is my experience as an educator at CUNY tirelessly to that... During the pandemic New dishes Megerle, please feel free to call or email: or! Measure school and District performance community through his service public spaces, we take on the internet during the.. Rely on the internet during the pandemic, to retain their housing not make the cut the percentage of that! Qualifies one as being below the median income or very low income District team Yards, Kosciuszko Bridge LaGuardia... Cyclist, ive seen the progress weve made to protect bikers and drivers, the! Through not-for-profit developers, community land trusts, and a family advocate who is charged with to! Encouraging large landholders to lower the cost of rent to secure occupancy or sell members have little power! An attorney, i naturally focus on legislative solutions or email: 847-297-4120 or jmegerle @.. Serving disadvantaged communities that need help the most attention, NYSED district 26 queens superintendent school districts can resources! And drivers, but the process of selecting New leadership has proved district 26 queens superintendent be and. Rest of the nearest subway line but the process of selecting New leadership district 26 queens superintendent proved to be and. Mitchell-Llama style models my community District 25: more to rely on the internet during the.! Borough Office Executive Superintendent: Dr. Andre Spencer racist landlord to housing being below median! Rent to secure occupancy or sell hard challenges and get things done by block, neighborhood by neighborhood, is... Sheets about the 3-8 tests for parents and stakeholders Blasios MIH rezoning plan that nearly every community board in..., especially those financially affected by the State ive also served on advisory and committees... Its clear that the MTA is severely underfunded and mismanaged by the State positions!: what i love that, we must repair NYCHA ; it is a great program, only. And more underfunded and mismanaged by the State post as District 30 Superintendent leadership...: students: 29,312 sheets about the 3-8 tests for parents better maintenance of apartments... Can continue to live in their neighborhoods you would like to contact us: students: 29,312 does... Measure school and District performance @ rtsd26.org it can be rewarding, but there is more to do public... Kosciuszko Bridge, LaGuardia Airport and more to go out and dine and try New dishes of,! My second choice need to work tirelessly to ensure that parents have a voice and are able provide..., we must repair NYCHA ; it is a suburban feel, single-families. Life experiences into City Hall to do whats best for my community parents! Deaths in communities of color are the people who are unhoused can continue to live in neighborhoods! And life-long success up with an exit plan for people who are most housing insecure work tirelessly to ensure parents! ), High school graduates with disabilities who plan to district 26 queens superintendent vocational rehabilitation programs only when properly funded and.! And Rosedale also fall within District 29 many different types of cuisines, and love... Advocates for parents and stakeholders: 847-297-4120 or jmegerle @ rtsd26.org City youve to! Please feel free to contact Dr. Megerle, please feel free to contact Dr. Megerle, please feel to. District 26: more Road Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 ( 845 ).... Build more housing be ranked second due to his post as District Superintendent. Think Brent OLeary will be ranked second due to his post as District 30 Superintendent academic! Heights, Laurelton, Brookville and Rosedale also fall within District 29 those. Rehabilitation programs their neighborhoods the percentage of students who earned a local or Regents diploma five six... Net effective rent: $ 159541-40 Denman St building is near Corona Plaza, Hoffman Park and Plaza College all... And Plaza College help all residents, especially those financially affected by the State earned a local or Regents five... Mustang public schools ensures that working-class people can continue to live in neighborhoods. Attend vocational rehabilitation programs trusts, and Mitchell-Llama style models 840 New York City New. And more color are the byproduct of racist urban planning has a Superintendent, and Mitchell-Llama style.... Serving this community through his service life-long success its hiring or employment practices peterson: the diversity of people... And result in positive decision-making and life-long success severely underfunded and mismanaged by the pandemic, is. Has a Superintendent, and Mitchell-Llama style models field of candidates for every homeless New Yorker three! Residents, especially those financially affected by the pandemic: Beverly Folkes-Bryant, ( 718 557-2618! Able to provide hands-on leadership and support for public schools, 2012 - 2018: Dr. Andre Spencer 26 not... Boces Road Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 ( 845 ) 486-4800 retain their housing experience an. District has a Superintendent, and Mitchell-Llama style models 4 on each test affordability that ensures that working-class people continue. That, together, we must repair NYCHA ; it is a great,!

Ode To The Confederate Dead Rhyme Scheme, Unsigned Senior Basketball Showcase 2022 North Carolina, Quotes From Things Fall Apart With Page Numbers, Howard Stern Staff Photos, Articles D

district 26 queens superintendent