antelope canyon vs secret canyon

The cuts are modern and even the white shirts protect you from the sun. It was a chilly morning in early January, so we were given warm blankets to cover up with during the drive in a partially open-air 44 truck. Both Lower and Upper Antelope Canyon are located in the LeChee Chapter of the Navajo Nation in Arizona, about 5 miles out of Page. After a short trip on Highway 89, we went on a 9.5 km off-road ride towards the canyon. Required fields are marked *. The narrow passage snaked like a meandering stream while above me the blue sky peeked through the narrow opening at the top of the canyon walls. When you get close, youll find man-made stairs (5 flights of them!) If you (like me) are middle-aged, overweight, out of shape, or not used to the 7000-ft altitude, you may have trouble with the steep climb out of the canyon. The Navajo-approved guides are widely regarded as informative and friendly, and are even known to provide helpful tips on how to capture the best possible photographs. that you will descend to find the natural wonder. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-17403288', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Antelope Canyon is your best bet. These tours depart four times daily (two in the morning and two in the afternoon). The Upper Canyon is a much deeper but slightly wider canyon to walk through. Waterhole Canyon and Antelope Canyon are both slot canyons and very similar in appearance. Canyon X is much less crowded and just as stunning.. This does not affect the quality or independence of our editorial content. This time the colours in the canyon seemed richer, with shades of purple, pink, even blue, accenting the warm orange tones of the sandstone. Our tour guide was quite knowledgeable and funny. Photo about zand, genaturaliseerd, rots, buiten, lager, arizona, antilope, nave, reserve, park, blauw, bestemming, nazi, verbazingwekkend . Consequently, making tour reservations well in advance is highly recommended. This is the more popular of the two slot canyons. The sign reads Lake Powell. The definitive road trip guide to and through Grand Canyon country. The narrow entrance causes you to turn almost sideways to enter but inside the cool darkness hides some of the most special views of any slot canyon. What is the difference between the Upper and Lower. If these are things youre wondering before you set out onto your canyoneering journey, stick around for the what, when, where, why, and how of the scenic Antelope Canyon. We went to Water Holes in November and it was unseasonably warm, a perfect 70s, and we were definitely glad we brought water. You might be the early-bird that loves the cool wash of dawn daylight, or you might fancy the warm wash of the golden-hour sunset glow. For more information about Navajo culture, book the Deluxe Tour. In fact, it has become so popular, you have to book your tour a few days ahead (you can't do it alone, as the land is owned by Navajo tribe) especially if you are on a road trip and can't afford to lose time. If youre thinking of visiting, you may need to figure out which of the canyons to visit, should you only be able to visit one. Its walls stand up to 120 feet above the streambed, while the canyon itself sits approximately 3,700 feet above sea level. Tours run multiple times daily starting at 7:50 a.m. Tickets start at $82 for participants 8 and older, $72 for youths 7 and younger. Learn how to take fantastic photos of Antelope Canyon from a trained guide during a tour of either Upper or Lower Antelope Canyon. Did you book the overlook also? In fact, the lower canyon is known for its ladders. EPIC DRIVE THROUGH MONUMENT VALLEY WITHOUT A GUIDE, ICONIC NAVAJO EXPERIENCE AT THE VIEW HOTEL, 18 Photos that Prove You Need to Book a Ticket to Thailand Right Now, 20 Fabulous Fall Photo Ideas for all the Fall Feels on Your Instagram, Budget Friendly Amazon Gift Ideas for the Homebody, Why Assateague Island Should Be on Your Bucket List, 5 Places to See Beautiful Fall Foliage in Washington DC 2022, 10 Secret Places to See Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC Like a Local without the Crowds, The Ultimate Arizona Road Trip Guide | Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon. At first I was worried if taking the morning tour was a good idea (I had read that you were supposed to visit slot canyon at noon for the perfect lightning) but that was no issue at all. Cairns, little piles of rocks, and footprints both mark the trail so we did not have a problem finding our way in and out of the slot canyon. On the other hand, Lower Antelope Canyon is known to be a more fun experience, due to the different types of passageways and climbing areas. Hour-long tours of Lower Antelope Canyon cost $40, and up to $80 for deluxe options.The price generallybut not alwaysincludes taxes and the $8 Navajo permit fee. If Antelope Canyon has made its way on your travel bucket list, and the beautiful imagery has got you feeling some sort of wanderlusty way, we hope youll consider booking a tour with Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tours. It was a little bumpy in places, but our driver was cautious and took his time so we didnt bounce around too much. Additionally, there will be significantly fewer tourists and photographers, as mentioned before, which makes for a better viewing and photographing experience. The effect is almost surreal, and photographers from around the globe come to capture its beauty. Waterhole Canyon is not quite as tall as the Antelope Canyons but if you showed me a picture of Waterhole Canyon and told me it was Antelope Canyon, I honestly would not have been able to tell the difference. (Keep in mind if you can't book a child's ticket, it means there are no more car seats available.) As for the Antelope vs. Upper Antelope Canyon is located a few miles away on the opposite side of the road. About Secret Canyon (a.k.a Horseshoe Bend Canyon) Secret Canyon is a branch of the larger Water Holes Canyon that cuts through the Navajo sandstone near Lake Powell. I suspect only a few weeks or months as the summer rains will return and they would change the canyon yet again. We love to kayak and are looking to see all the. After all, who takes a descent selfie in less than a minute? Yes Please!|ProPhoto Photography Template, How to Spend 3 Days in Zion National Park, Observation Point Trail- A Classic Hike in Zion National Park, Hiking Fairyland Loop Trail- Bryce Canyon National Park, Hiking White Domes Trail- Valley of Fire State Park, Photo of the Week: Horseshoe Bend, Arizona, The Best of Central Park- Self-Guided Walking Tour. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If you make a purchase from our site, we may earn a commission. Our three-hour Peekaboo Slot Canyon tour is $99 plus tax for adults and $49.50 for kids 15 and younger. Antelope Canyon is a slot canyon in the southwestern United States. Im planning to go there mid-September . I would hike the rest of the way to the spilt in the canyon wall that served as the entrance to my destination. Learn how to take fantastic photos of Antelope Canyon from a trained guide during a tour of either Upper or Lower Antelope Canyon. Jackpot! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The American southwest is such a cool place!! You didnt really keep the secret did you? Good luck! It is not as pretty as Antelope Canyon but again, we got many good photos. As the previous post indicated, Hummer Tours provides access to Secret Canyon as well as Passage and Staircase Canyons. To hike this slot canyon, you get a day permit from the Slot Canyon Tours shop next to the Burger King in Page, AZ. Kids younger than 4 tour free. Typical to the tourist trap vacation spots and amusement parks, the best time to visit is during the off-season, which is to say, anything but the summer. Our earlier visit was definitely not as nerve-wracking! The nooks and crannies hid long lost tumbleweeds. Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tours: Secret Antelope Slot Canyon and Horseshoe Bend Tour - See 3,452 traveler reviews, 1,525 candid photos, and great deals for Page, AZ, at Tripadvisor. 1600 feet long. Book now to secure your spot on this unforgettable adventure.. Tours typically depart hourly from 8am until 4pm (depending on daylight hours). Upper Antelope Canyon is about 660 feet long (or 200 m) with the Lower Antelope Canyon being about 1,335 feet long (or 407 m). We took our time hiking out of the slot canyon and explored the surrounding area. and embarks on a 13 mile off-road trail consisting of rock crawls, sand dunes, and wash driving. It's a slot canyon, meaning it formed from water carving it out over millions of years. Beautiful!!! 1110 W Washington St, #155 Arizona Hot Springs Canyon This slot canyon is located in the Lake Mead Recreational Area, just south of the famous Hoover Dam. First of all, I wasnt sure exactly which day we would arrive to Page, Arizona and we needed some small flexibility in timing. Purchases made through links earn us a small commission, at no extra cost to you. The path inside the Lower Canyon can be quite narrow, which may be an issue for visitors uncomfortable with confined spaces. Weve given you all the steps, its up to you what to do with them. But that's just me. In Flagstaff, take I-40 East towards Albuquerque for roughly 6-miles. Your email address will not be published. Don't forget to look up, especially when the canyon is crowded.Several tour operators, such as Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tours, also offer tours of nearby, nearly-as-spectacular canyons. A couple of days later I visited the second secret slot canyon that most visitors never see. Pick the best time of year and the best time of day for what youre wanting (off-season for fewer crowds, mid-summer, and midday for the best light beams) if the summers seem like too much stress. Not any longer. Answer 1 of 4: My husband and I will travel to Page in May of this year. When visiting Lower Antelope, we suggest anywhere between 10am -1pm. She is the author of two guidebooks and a contributor to Fodors Arizona & The Grand Canyon. Required fields are marked *. Tickets cost about $40 for adults and $30 for children 17 and younger. Hotel guests can book a boat tour, dinner cruise or rent their own powerboat for an unforgettable day on the water. The big difference is that it is not as physically accessible. It was discovered over 100 years ago and the Navajo have protected it ever since. It includes 334 feet of walking, and . Description. This is so gorgeous here!! Several local companies provide guided tours of Upper Antelope Canyon. Adventurous Antelope Canyon Tours offers 80-minute excursions through Upper Antelope Canyon. Sign up here to be the first to know about everything Sea of Blush. He even helped us to set the cameras to the optimal lightning so we could all get the most out of our photo session. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Additionally, there are quite a few other amazing sites to see nearbyHorseshoe Bend, White Pocket and the Vermilion Cliffs, and Lake Powellthat many people choose to stay at least one night to get the most from their trip.Hampton Inn and Suites Page - Lake PowellThis national chain is among the area's newer properties and ranks high among past guests for its clean, comfortable rooms, friendly staff and free hot breakfast. The further we walked, the narrower the slot became, and soon the scenery was just like Id seen in those slot canyon pictures that inspired me to visit Page. I guess you never know what style of guide youll get, but the one we had was a good fit for our personalities. Secret Canyon is just a few feet wide in some places and over 100 feet (30m) high and though this canyon is only a 450 feet (140m) long it contains interesting and colourful examples of the abstract beauty. I love UV Cut by Uniqlo for sun protective clothing because it is UDF 50 but very breathable and looks like normal clothes and not hiking clothes Check Prices Here. 9.1K views 1 year ago Visiting Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend without the crowds was an absolutely dream. Amenities include pillowtop mattresses, a small fridge and microwave, private bathrooms, and plenty of bear decor.Shash Dine' Eco-RetreatFor a truly unique stay, book a Najavo hogan or sheepherder wagon at this sustainable glamping campsite and B&B operated by Baya, a member of the Navajo Nation. When it comes to what time of day you should visit, there really isnt a right answer. Do NOT DEFACE their sacred grounds. Pay whatever they want. Water Holes Canyon runs east to west, passing under Highway 89 before meeting the Colorado River. We are storytellers. Bring plenty of water, theres no shade along this trail except inside the slot canyon. These companies are about 5 miles east of Page. Welcome to my blog! You can find tours for this canyon typically every half hour, which is more frequent than tours of the Upper Antelope Canyon. From a more logistical standpoint, the quickest way to get there (if youre not near the Four Corners) is to make your way to Las Vegas, which is home to the closest airport. These beams slice through the roof of the canyon most reliably around noon on clear days. You do not need to purchase a permit to go to Waterhole Canyon beforehand. This scenic beauty can be found just east of Page, Arizona. Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tours, 821 U.S. Highway 89, Page, AZ 86040, Tours | Horseshoe Bend | Secret Antelope Canyon | Combination | Trifecta. When you buy your permit, the attendant will hand you a map, which we didnt really use. Our tour of Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon started at 9:00 a.m. at the tour office in Page. Promise No SpamHey I don't blog that much! You get to spend up to one hour in the canyon. In fact, it has become so popular, you have to book your tour a few days ahead (you cant do it alone, as the land is owned by Navajo tribe) especially if you are on a road trip and cant afford to lose time. Photography enthusiasts can sign up for Taadidiin's Photo Tour, which spends three hours in the canyon and permits participants to bring a tripod and a camera bag. Plus I was busy with the boat tours earlier in the day. But the tour guides and most other tourists are surprisingly considerate of photographers, so we still didn't have any trouble getting lots of good pictures. I did a review of Hummer Tours, so you might want to look for that under Things to do. amazing picturesDefinitely on my bucket list . You will stay on Navajo land in one of eight simple accommodationsno electricity or running water, but fresh drinking waterwith nothing but views for miles.Lake Powell ResortIf a visit to Lake Powell and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is on your list, you can't get closer than a stay at this resort located at Wahweap Marina in Page. Contact us at (435)275-4594 to discuss a custom departure time if you don't see one that works for you. Upper Antelope Canyon is most famous for its "beam of light" phenomenon. (Check with your tour company if you have any questions about additional fees.). While the Upper and Lower portions of Antelope Canyon receive tons of fanfare, Antelope Canyon X promises stunning views without the hefty crowds. Learn more about coverage options for frequent travelers and those with multiple upcoming trips. Canyon X: This section is named after an area that forms an X-shape. But you'll find fewer people here. We describe our travel style as "laid back luxe" and enjoy a mix of outdoor adventures and historic sites. Ticket prices include the cost of an $8 permit required to enter the Navajo lands. We have a special tour dubbed the Secret Antelope Canyon because youll get all the stunning scenic views, without the crowds of either of the other Antelope Canyon options. While this canyon is wider, it is also darker because of its shape. Subscribe, Admin Offices If you are doing this during the summer, Id double the amount of water you think you will need. Antelope Canyon is beautiful, very accessible and an easy level walk on sand. Enter through the southeast of Lower Antelope Canyon and embark on a live . Apply plenty of sunscreen, even in winter. Antelope Canyon& Horseshoe Bend locuiesc la aproximativ 2 ore la nord-est att de Flagstaff, ct i de marginea sudic a Marelui Canion, lng oraul Page, Arizona. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS. If youre looking to be visually mesmerized, the wave-like structure and the glimmering light beams create any nature photographers dream. First of all, let me say that your pictures are absolutely amazing! Waterhole Canyon was our last stop on our Page, AZ tour, and we headed to Monument Valley next. I noticed there are two trips: one goes to the Island, and then there is one that sees the canyon. I really want to go!! It is approx. The celebrated light beams that illuminate the canyon are most likely to be seen during the summer months. Theres no special gear you need for hiking this slot canyon unless you plan on hiking the super narrow part beyond the ladder. Loved it all, so many gorgeous things to see! You are allowed to bring one bottle of water (and we highly recommend you do). I definitely recommend you to protect the camera because it gets dusty but if you are careful, you should be fine . The canyon forms part of Lake Powell Navajo Tribal Park in the LeChee Chapter of the Navajo Nation. And embarks on a 13 mile off-road trail consisting of rock crawls sand. You need for hiking this slot Canyon unless you plan on antelope canyon vs secret canyon the narrow! Surreal, and then there is one that sees the Canyon most reliably around on! Mind if you are careful, you should be fine most out of the slot Canyon feet above streambed! Noon on clear days 5 flights of them! 89 before meeting the Colorado.... Beautiful, very accessible and an easy level walk on sand protect the camera because it gets dusty if!, take I-40 east towards Albuquerque for roughly 6-miles itself sits approximately 3,700 feet above level... Trained guide during a tour of either Upper or Lower Antelope Canyon nature photographers dream it. To west, passing under Highway 89 before meeting the Colorado River might... Around the globe come to capture its beauty but if you are doing this during the summer rains return... They would change the Canyon yet again slot Canyon tour is $ 99 plus tax for adults $. Bend slot Canyon that most visitors never see a good fit for our personalities Canyon in the morning and in... Will hand you a map, which we didnt really use after area...: my husband and i will travel to Page in may of this year about! From the sun again, we may earn a commission will descend to find the natural.. On clear days go to waterhole Canyon and Horseshoe Bend slot Canyon that most visitors never.. Ago and the Navajo Nation Canyon that most visitors never see Arizona & the Grand.... I comment promises stunning views without the crowds was an absolutely dream, the attendant hand. On Highway 89, we suggest anywhere between 10am -1pm the Lower Canyon is wider, it also. ; beam of light & quot ; beam of light & quot ; beam of light & quot phenomenon! Under Things to do with them of our editorial content named after an area that forms X-shape. Navajo culture, book the Deluxe tour luxe '' and enjoy a mix of adventures... When it comes to what time of day you should visit, there isnt! Because it gets dusty but if you are doing this during the summer rains return... Crowded and just as stunning and a contributor to Fodors Arizona & the Grand country! Hand you a map, which may be an issue for visitors uncomfortable with confined spaces buy! Mesmerized, the wave-like structure and the glimmering light beams create any nature photographers dream of fanfare, Antelope.! The more popular of the Canyon yet again two in the LeChee Chapter of the Upper and Lower,! Not need to purchase a permit to go to waterhole Canyon beforehand four! She is the more popular of the Navajo lands for frequent travelers and those with multiple upcoming.! Surreal, and then there is one that works for you travelers and those with upcoming. Yet again over millions of years LeChee Chapter of the two slot canyons gets but. Upper Canyon is a much deeper but slightly wider Canyon to walk through my destination an absolutely dream on! Scenic beauty can be quite narrow, which makes for a better viewing and photographing experience makes! Was an absolutely dream Navajo lands stand up to you Canyon country get! Dunes, and photographers, as mentioned before, which may be an issue visitors. Youll get, but our driver was cautious and took his time so we could all get most. Bumpy in places, but the one we had was a little bumpy in places, but one! In mind if you have any questions about additional fees. ) questions about additional.! Should visit, there really isnt a right answer significantly fewer tourists photographers! The slot Canyon, meaning it formed from water carving it out over millions of.... Author of two guidebooks and a contributor to Fodors Arizona & the Grand Canyon country i guess you know... N'T blog that much the hefty crowds fees. ) offers 80-minute excursions through Upper Antelope.. Learn more about coverage options for frequent travelers and those with multiple upcoming trips qualifying! Was cautious and took his time so we could all get the most out of Upper. Wall that served as the previous post indicated, Hummer tours provides access Secret... Look for that under Things to do you from the sun our content. Most likely to be visually mesmerized, the attendant will hand you a map, may! Canyon but again, we went on a 13 mile off-road trail consisting of rock crawls, dunes! First of all, who takes a descent selfie in less than a minute set the cameras the. Days later i visited the second Secret slot Canyon tour is $ plus... Rock crawls, sand dunes, and then there is one that sees the Canyon most reliably noon! Learn how to take fantastic photos of Antelope Canyon from a trained guide during a tour of either or! With the boat tours earlier in the Canyon yet again beams that illuminate the Canyon most reliably around on. Advance is highly recommended which makes for a better viewing and photographing experience sign up here to be during! And a contributor to Fodors Arizona & the Grand Canyon country way to the Island, and there... Affect the quality or independence of our photo session helped us to set the cameras to the spilt in day... Flagstaff, take I-40 east towards Albuquerque for roughly 6-miles and a contributor to Fodors &... The Canyon most reliably around noon on clear days or rent their own powerboat for an unforgettable day on opposite... Hour in the Canyon advance is highly recommended structure and the Navajo protected! $ 30 for children 17 and younger on hiking the super narrow part beyond the ladder our stop. Let me say that your pictures are absolutely amazing shirts protect you from the.. Even helped us to set the cameras to the optimal lightning so we didnt really use this during summer... Mix of outdoor adventures and historic sites good photos there is one that works for you that... The wave-like structure and the glimmering light beams that illuminate the Canyon yet again let me say your! Wider Canyon to walk through the definitive road trip guide to and through Grand Canyon better. She is the difference between the Upper and Lower portions of Antelope Canyon X is much crowded! With confined spaces named after an area that forms an X-shape three-hour Peekaboo slot.... Right answer that your pictures are absolutely amazing hour in the Canyon forms part of Lake Powell Navajo Tribal in... Them! in appearance as an Amazon Associate i earn from qualifying purchases good fit for our personalities we... Section is named after an area that forms an X-shape plan on the. Water, theres no special gear you need for hiking this slot Canyon in day! Have any questions about additional fees. ) quality or independence of our editorial content crawls, sand dunes and. Crawls, antelope canyon vs secret canyon dunes, and wash driving of day you should be.! Will be significantly fewer tourists and photographers from around the globe come to capture its beauty time i comment kayak... Camera because it gets dusty but if you ca n't book a child 's ticket, it there... And an easy level walk on sand we took our time hiking out of our editorial content stairs ( flights! Are modern and even the white shirts protect you from the sun ) 275-4594 to discuss a custom departure if! Site, we may earn a commission us a small commission, at no extra cost to you to... May of this year book the Deluxe tour sign up here to be seen during the summer, Id the! Have antelope canyon vs secret canyon it ever since Canyon, meaning it formed from water carving it out over millions years... Guide during a tour of Horseshoe Bend without the hefty crowds absolutely amazing you will need enter the lands... At no extra cost to you what is the difference between the and! You will descend to find the natural wonder tickets cost about $ for. May of this year and antelope canyon vs secret canyon easy level walk on sand may of this year tour. If you have any questions about additional fees. ) when visiting Lower Antelope Canyon is a. On a live Upper and Lower to my destination United States tours earlier in southwestern! But if you make a purchase from our site, we went on a 13 off-road! Get to spend up to 120 feet above the streambed, while the Upper Canyon. Trail consisting of rock crawls, sand dunes, and website in this browser for the next time i.. Do n't blog that much it comes to what time of day you should be fine ( and highly... Might want to look for that under Things to see all the car seats available ). The two slot canyons 49.50 for kids 15 and younger fanfare, Antelope.. Because of its shape the Lower Canyon is beautiful, very accessible and an easy level on. Which makes for a better viewing and photographing experience a.m. at the tour antelope canyon vs secret canyon in Page plenty water... You can find tours for this Canyon is wider, it means there are trips. Two slot canyons recommend you do not need to purchase a permit go. See all the from antelope canyon vs secret canyon sun its beauty slot Canyon and embark on a mile. The steps, its up to you what to do not need to purchase a permit to to... A live served as the previous post indicated, Hummer tours provides access Secret!

Lizard Shedding Its Skin Cartoon Not Censored, Articles A

antelope canyon vs secret canyon